Sean T. McBeth
I am a freelance software consultant in virtual reality, augmented reality, games, simulation, graphics, abstract data visualization, audio synthesis and processing, computer vision, peer-to-peer networking, desktop, Web, mobile, real-time communication, hardware prototyping, embedded systems, reporting, GIS, and relational database systems.
My current work is focused on Virtual Reality and electronics. I've successfully bootstrapped and deployed multiple VR projects for Google Cardboard and HTC Vive, as well as a few hardware prototypes in radio and wireless input devices. Before VR, I built several analytics-heavy OLTP applications for desktop, Web, and mobile Web.
My projects usually go from concept to first-version in 1-to-2-month timeframes. I emphasize open communication with stakeholders, frequent issue and user-story tracking and review, correct, normalized relational database design and simple, best-practice-based, DRY, agile software development. I maintain an extremely broad set of skills to bring to bear on your project.
- Tumblr blog
- Hacker News
- IMDB (yup)
- Smart-city VR diorama, with:
- Music beat detection for game-play synchronization
- AR for business cards
- Haptic Glove, v2
- Haptic Glove, v1
- REX: 360° Real Estate Tours
- AR for Religious Preference
- The East Coast's first Virtual Reality Arcade
- DIY Galvanic Vestibular Stimulation (virtual balance)
- Live-programmable VR environment
- Highland Solutions: a consultancy for helping people wrangle their data
- Genetic algorithm visualizer
- SqlSiphon: a database management library for .NET
- Just Write, Dammit! A book writing platform
- Rieker CARS: DOT-compliant road sign recommendations
- Small Town: interactive fiction + AI Shakespere
- Speaking Accent Recognition Testing Machine
- Laser Harp
- Mobile-responsive Pong game
- The No-Video Game
- Standing Workstation
- Scratch Live! An HTML 5 synthesizer
- 2-Player, Competitive, Arm-Wrestling Tetris
- Indie-movie pyrotechnic effects
- VR Program Chair for the Washington DC chapter of ACM.
- Treasurer, events coordinator, and board member at Hive76.
- Charter President for Shippensburg University's chapter of Upsilon Pi Epsilon, the Computer Science honor society.
- President for Shippensburg University's student ACM chapter.
- Vice-President for Shippensburg University's programming team.
- President for Penn State Mont Alto's engineering club.
- NOVA National Society of Collegiate Scholars': I was the keynote speaker for their annual event at Northern Virginia Community College's Loudoun campus.
- AR In Action 2016: I spoke on two panels on haptics and content development.
- Lean+Agile DC: I gave a talk on rapid application development for VR.
- NOVAVR: I spoke on a panel about the current state and future of Virtual and Augmented Reality.
- VR/AR With The Best: I gave a webinar and ran personal Q&A sessions on using Primrose to build VR applications.
- Stratford University: I described the essentials of Virtual Reality for Stratford's CS/IT students.
- CodePen DC: I spoke on the emerging WebVR API and how developers can get started.
- and several events for DCVR, our local VR enthusiasts' meetup.
- My writings on LinkedIn
- Three Years: an ebook
- Photography and writing on the Galapagos Islands
- Photography from Ireland
- Photography from Germany
- Abstract photography with prisms
- MAKE Magazine, Issue 35: Making Pigments
- Bachelors of Science, Computer Science—Shippensburg University, cum laude 2005.
- Bachelors of Science and Engineering, Computer Science—Penn State Mont Alto (transferred, 2002).
- The Creative Bar: Episode 16
- The Virtual Reality Observer
- Sean McBeth on Primrose and WebVR development (Dev Diner)
- DC Entrepreneur: Episode 2
- A DC Virtual Reality Startup Now Lets You Feel in VR (DC Inno)
- AR in Action features current and future developments in technological field (Daily Free Press, Boston University)
- How WebVR will make virtual reality massively available (VentureBeat)
- First East Coast Virtual Reality Arcade Opens in D.C. (The Hoya, Georgetown University)
- How one of the first VR arcades will bring us together in our own little worlds (TechRadar)
- Why WebVR (Sensics blog)
- Build Virtual Reality in VR with Primrose and WebVR (SitePoint)
- The State of DC Virtual Reality Innovation: Part 1 (DC Inno)