Sean T. McBeth
I am a senior software engineering consultant at Deloitte Digital with the Deloitte Center for Immersive Learning (DCIL). We build virtual and augmented reality games, training simulations, and abstract data visualization. Audio synthesis and processing, computer vision, peer-to-peer networking, real-time communication, hardware prototyping, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) are other areas in which I work. I've worked across the range of desktop, Web, mobile, embedded systems, and relational database systems.
My current work is focused on Immersive Media. I've successfully bootstrapped and deployed multiple VR projects for Google Cardboard, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, and Gear VR. I've also built a number of hardware prototypes in radio and wireless input devices. Before VR, I built several analytics-heavy OLTP applications for desktop, Web, and mobile Web.
My projects usually go from concept to first-version in 1-to-2-month timeframes. I emphasize open communication with stakeholders, frequent issue and user-story tracking and review, correct, normalized relational database design and simple, best-practice-based, DRY, agile software development. I maintain an extremely broad set of skills to bring to bear on your project.
- Primrose: build VR experiences in your browser
- Plume: a VR teleconferencing system for the Web
- Alexandria Code & Coffee: Organizer
- DC Realities: Co-organizer
- Alexandria VR Meetup: Organizer
- W3 WebVR Community Group: Participant
Talks & Interviews
- DC ACM SIGGRAPH, November 2017: I spoke on the history and current state of VR on the Web
- DCVR, June 2017: I spoke on getting started with Augmented Reality programming
- NOVA National Society of Collegiate Scholars': I was the keynote speaker for their annual event at Northern Virginia Community College's Loudoun campus
- The Creative Bar: Episode 16: I was interviewed on a podcast about entrepreneurship
- The Virtual Reality Observer: I was interviewed for a tech blog about the future of VR
- AR In Action 2016: I spoke on two panels on haptics and content development
- Lean+Agile DC: I gave a talk on rapid application development for VR
- NOVAVR: I spoke on a panel about the current state and future of Virtual and Augmented Reality
- VR/AR With The Best: I gave a webinar and ran personal Q&A sessions on using Primrose to build VR applications
- Stratford University: I described the essentials of Virtual Reality for Stratford's CS/IT students
- DCVR Breakout Session #5: I conducted a seminar on getting started with WebVR through Primrose
- CodePen DC: I spoke on the emerging WebVR API and how developers can get started
- Sean McBeth on Primrose and WebVR development (Dev Diner): I was interviewed for a blog about learning VR programming.
- DC Entrepreneur: Episode 2: I was interviewed on a podcast about entrepreneurship
- 2nd Annual DCVR Innovation Panel: I spoke on a panel about the current state and future of VR
- MAKE Magazine, Issue 35: Making Pigments: I wrote an article about making paint pigments from basic chemicals
- DC Inno: A DC Virtual Reality Startup Now Lets You Feel in VR
- Daily Free Press, Boston University: AR in Action features current and future developments in technological field
- VentureBeat: How WebVR will make virtual reality massively available
- The Hoya, Georgetown University: First East Coast Virtual Reality Arcade Opens in D.C.
- TechRadar: How one of the first VR arcades will bring us together in our own little worlds
- Sensics blog: Why WebVR
- SitePoint: Build Virtual Reality in VR with Primrose and WebVR
- DC Inno: The State of DC Virtual Reality Innovation: Part 1